Running an ERP system? Having any of these problems?
- Erratically performing applications
- Escalating maintenance and enhancement costs
- Lack of visibility over the deliveries made by internal or outsourced teams
- Upgrade paralysis
Getting your arms around an ERP system to find and fix the root causes of these problems is notoriously difficult. No single person, however knowledgeable, can fathom it from end to end. Automated analysis and measurement are absolutely essential.
ERP systems are highly data intensive. The efficiency, performance, and maintainability of ERP systems are tightly connected to how well database calls are handled. In a recent CAST study of over 30 SAP systems we found that more than 80% of database calls were improperly handled, resulting in erratic performance and instability.
These calls quickly outrun the ERP vendor's proprietary language to include other languages (Java, C++,...), frameworks (J2EE, .NET, ...), and relational databases (Oracle, DB2, ...). This mélange of technologies aggravates performance, stability, and maintainability. Add in the deceptively high amount of customization in these systems, and things become even more complex.
In these complex environments the manual measurement of quality, too expensive and time consuming, let alone possible.
What follows refers specifically to CAST's ERP capabilities.
CAST's automated analysis and measurement of SAP, Siebel, and PeopleSoft addresses the growing need for consistent, objective measurement to eliminate costly customization errors of ERP systems.
CAST's coverage of ERP systems is both broad and deep. This extensive coverage is a must.
So how does CAST eliminate costly ERP customization errors?
1. CAST's automated analysis and measurement of ERP systems is based on a very detailed understanding of the architectural structure of the system - what the components are and how they're interconnected. We build this architectural model from the ground up in intense detail.
2. CAST's sophisticated pattern-matching algorithms are specifically tuned to measuring quality (performance, stability, and maintainability) in the ERP environment. Specifically for ERP systems, CAST has about 100 pattern matching rules each for SAP and Siebel and about 400 engineering rules specific to PeopleSoft.
3. CAST detects changes between the original core application and the customized application, or between a patched and un-patched version of the same application. Along with detailed architectural visibility and objective measures of quality hot spots, CAST gives IT organizations and system integrators a detailed, practical roadmap for sequencing their development, maintenance, and upgrade tasks.
Details? Check out our solutions for ERP.